Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Survived!



Everytime I try and take Callie's picture these days she squints her eyes up really tight in anticipation of the flash. This is best I could do. So, this post is entitled I survived, because Callie and myself endured a crazy morning. I was meeting up with some other moms from our church at a play area inside a mall. I had never been to this mall and it was a little further out from the cities than I usually go. Thankfully, I found it easily. While I was trying to get us both out of the car, the unthinkable happened (well, actually it is at least thinkable). I had both car doors open, had set my purse in the back seat next to Callie and got out to lock and close the front door. Upon locking and closing the front door, my hip hit the back door by accident and it closed just enough to lock. I had locked my baby, keys, purse, phone, everything in the car. I just stood there for a few min. saying this is really bad, really really bad. I ran inside the mall. I borrowed a phone and a lady got a security officer to help me. Charlie was a good 25-30 min. away and in a meeting and was hard to get hold of. They called a police officer and he came and tried for 45 min. to get it open but was unsuccessful. Charlie ended up arriving with a key before the officer could get the door open. All in all, she was locked in there just short of an hour. Now, I will tell you the best and worst part of this story. The worst part was that two security officers (extremely nice guys by the way), the police officer, and myself were standing outside (none of us with hat or gloves) for the entire hour. We had not yet made it to our high of 12 for the day and the wind chill was negative 7! It's one thing to walk to and from a heated place in those temps, and it's another to just stand there, esp. without hat, gloves, and long underwear! But, it wasn't like I was going to leave her! So, the best part of the story is that Callie was asleep the ENTIRE TIME! She literally woke up 20 seconds before Charlie pulled up with the other key. I was so thankful. I mean she slept right through the officer banging/scraping this metal rod in between the window and door. So, all that to say, we survived (It did take me close to an hour and half for my core to warm back up) and we have a true Minnesotan story to tell!

3 comments:

Tracy Carson said...

Oh Jennifer! How scary. I am so glad she was asleep the whole time!! I have thought on more than one occasion what I would do if that happened to us, but in the summer! Extreme temperatures in the other direction!!! I would have to break a window!

Rachel said...

wow, that is miserable! at least Callie was warm!

EMU said...

That is one of my biggest fears as a mama! Glad to here it turned out well. What a blessing that Callie slept through it all!