Monday, January 24, 2011

Free-yet costly, breakfast

Last week at the mall of America, some people were handing out free coupons to try McDonald's new oatmeal. I was excited because I got 3 coupons and thought it would be a fun thing to do on Friday morning. Fridays are Charlie's days off and so we're always thinking of fun things to do as a family. So, I had made up my mind that we were going to get our free breakfast on Friday morning. Little did I know that it was going to be -19 F. Make sure you catch the negative! That's also the actual temp. not the windchill. I honestly don't think I've ever been outside on a day where the actual temperature is that low. So, what does it look like to venture out in that? Well, long underwear, gloves, hats, scarves, everything you can find to wear. It looks like jumping your car off b/c it refuses to start when it's that cold. It looks like barely being able to get the car door open b/c it's almost frozen shut. It looks like feeling your nose hairs freeze as you breathe in. Charlie actually felt his eyelids trying to stick together. Honestly what made us persevere was that we thought it would be a little adventure and it would make for a good blog post.


We made it and it was warm inside. You almost expect everything to just shut down when it's that cold, but not Minnesota. There were plenty of people in the McDonalds. Even a group of elderly people. I am constantly AMAZED at how tough the old people are here! I mean you just have to be. And, they probably all grew up here. I don't think a southern, elderly person could survive if they had to move up here. This place can be crazy.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Do you know how cheap oatmeal is? LOL, the sun lizard must really becoming acclimated with the north!! Hope you guys are well!!

Rachel said...

Dave says the only thing cheaper than oatmeal is raman noodles!!

Lindsey Williamson said...

I often think about things I miss about living there. This is NOT one of them! Sorry to say, I'm loving our 50 degree "winter" right now :)

Anonymous said...

You all sure are tough & determined. I hope the oatmeal was delicious!

Mama (Gami)