Monday, August 18, 2014

Grandmama


My sweet Grandmama went to be with Jesus on Sunday night. I don't know how to adequately express all the feelings/emotions that I have had. On one hand, I am very sad and miss her already. She has known me my whole life. I saw her weekly (at least) for the first 18 years of my life. And, since I left home, I have still seen and talked to her frequently. We were close. So, on the one hand I am so sad, but on the other hand I am so relieved.

She suffered sooo much in her last days. There were times when we asked the Lord why He was allowing her to linger. However, we and Grandmama herself, believed that the Lord was completely sovereign over all her days. We knew He had a purpose in every day that He gave her. I watched her fight to live in light of that truth as well. I can only say that I hope that when my turn comes I will have the strength to trust Him as she did in her last days. My childhood memories of Grandmama are filled with things such as spending the night with her, jumping on her king sized bed like a trampoline (I was allowed to do that), eating breakfast at the little table in her carport, and enjoying sweet treats anytime I visited her house. As an adult, the memories I will treasure most are watching her enjoy her great granddaughter and great grandson. I will always remember how she encouraged me to "just enjoy it, enjoy every second that I have."

In fact, a couple months ago, Charlie and I came up with a family "creed" so to speak that we are teaching our children. In our creed, we bring attention to a few key points that we want to highlight in our home. We have come up with 7 points some of which include "Christ is King, You are loved, We talk to each other, etc. The last of the 7 points is "JUST ENJOY IT" Charlie was the one that suggested that actually. We felt it to be a tribute in a way to Grandmama. And, we wanted to continue to remind ourselves to not miss out on enjoying all that God has for us on this earth.

But, I am so thankful that my hope and Grandmama's hope is not bound to this earth. We have the hope of eternity with Christ. That will never be taken away. I have thought a lot about that today. One thing that our family was so thankful for in the way that my grandmother died, was that is was a peaceful ending. It was such a mercy of the Lord, that in her last hours, she was resting peacefully and seemed to be in no pain. She slipped quietly away. And, I couldn't help thinking how God's mercies are abundant all throughout our lives. This was a mercy that He gave to my grandmother in her last hours. But, what a contrast that is to Christ's last hours on the cross. He agonized in pain in His last hours, physical pain and the spiritual/emotional pain of separation from the Father. He agonized on the cross, so that we could be saved from the wickedness of our sin and ushered into His kingdom. That was the greatest mercy bestowed on us and every other smaller mercy, be it enjoying a sunrise or leaving this earth peacefully, trickles down from the cross where Christ defeated the sins of those who trust in Him.

1 comment:

Renato (from italy) said...

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Somehow she reminds me of my own grandmother: her face, her sweet smile... When she went to be with her Lord my only real comfort was in knowing that she was not "dead" at all! She was, and is, happier than any person in this world, near Jesus for all eternity.

I remember she told me she did have some fear of dying. But one night she had a dream: she was standing on a ravine, alone; there was a beautiful place in front of her, but she couldn't reach it. Then she saw Jesus: he came up to her, grabbed her hand and helped her to cross.
Then in her last days, when she fell ill she could literally see Jesus and his angels near her and she said she couldn't wait to go with him!

God bless you!